Alright, most of you know of my toy hobby.  I don’t share a ton about it, but I do bring it up relatively often.  Well, year after year, time after time, all of this collecting adds up.  Not only that, but having two kids and a full time job cuts in to time that could be used on the hobby.  Here lies the issue.  It’s been about 4 years since I’ve seriously put effort into keeping my “Joe rooms” in order.  4 years is an eternity to a collector, as there’s a ton of product that comes and goes in that time.  I didn’t cut back on purchasing, so that left me with more and more product coming in, and I wasn’t making the room and space for it.  Which leaves me with a mess.  Not just a mess, but a collossal train wreck of a mess.  I’d get to a point where I’d take a bag of whatever I bought and throw it in a hole on the floor.  After four years, I’ve ran out of holes.  So much so, that it’s overflowed out into the main open area in the basement.  My collection soon monopolized the whole basement.  I knew something had to be done a long time ago, but I just didn’t apply myself.  I don’t want to say I didn’t have the time, I just didn’t put any time I had to that.  I finally decided to do something about it.  Below are pictures before I started the clean up.

Pics after the jump…
    

    

  

As you can see, I had my work cut out for me.  And, yeah, I know it was my own doing.  I should have been on top of it from the beginning, if I was going to be in this hobby, I know.  But I didn’t, so now I have to climb the mountain.  Over the last week, I’ve worked on the basement, about an average of every other day.  I’m knocking some stuff out, but it’s tricky and time consuming.  It’s not going to get any easier any time soon, but I’m making headway and getting results.  And that’s what counts. Below are some improvements and steps back that I’ve faced as I one, try to organize, and move my “Joe rooms” from where they are into the open space in the basement. 

3-20-11

    

3-23-11
A more productive day.  Still facing the mountain, still have a lot a head of me, but I attacked. My big accomplishment was moving out Mo’s comic book boxes and my baseball cards from the hole they had been in since we moved in.

  

3-26-11

Had a great day in terms of moving stuff around.  I got accomplished what I wanted in terms of moving stuff.  It’s still in a position of “It’s getting worse before it gets better”, but I can see some improvements, and I’m getting excited about it now.

    

  

3-27-11

I was able to knock out a little more today, and I also moved the comic books again to what will probably be their final place here. 

    

    

So, that’s my progress so far.  With end of month, quarter, and system at work this week, I probably won’t have a whole lot of time to dedicate to cleaning and organizing.  I hope to start back at it on Friday or Saturday.  Thanks for looking!

Share